Humanities Laptop Cart Policies and Guidelines
Instructions and Tutorials
- The Humanities Laptop Cart is available for group use in Humanities 2, Room 359. Managed by Humanities Computing, the cart has 24 MacBooks. These feature the standard Humanities desktop image, but other software may be requested by contacting Humanities Computing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The cart is for the use of Humanities faculty, as well as for lecturers and graduate student instructors with current quarter teaching appointments for the Humanities Division.
- Reserve the cart using this form. Include any special software installation requests. We will need adequate notice (at least three business days) in order to meet software configuration requests. The cart may be reserved for up to 5 hours each day. Unless otherwise reserved on the calendar, the cart is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Reserve the room Humanities 2, 359 for the same block of time using the form at http://humanities.ucsc.edu/about/divisional-services/conference-rooms/index.html
- Faculty and GSIs request access to Humanities 2, Room 359 using the form at http://humanities.ucsc.edu/about/divisional-services/facilities/access-request-form.html Upon approval a six digit access code will be provided to the requester. Please plan accordingly - Room 359 is not accessible between 11:00pm-7:00am.
- HCS will contact the reserver to coordinate pickup of the cart and key prior to the scheduled time, and to return when done.
- If faculty have administrative concerns, they should direct these to their Department Chair and to the Assistant Dean.
Maintenance and Security
- Make sure the cart is plugged into the A/C outlet so the computers charge for the next person.
- Laptop batteries are long-lasting. Leave power adapters in the cart. Adding/removing adapters complicates setup, and requires additional distribution and cleanup time.
- Instructors are responsible for the cart and contents. Please respect the following:
- Keep computers secured – laptops stowed and cart locked if you must leave the conference room
- Count laptops at beginning and end of use - there should be 24
- Turn off computers – this ensures that academic work, passwords, etc are removed
- Attach AC adapters to the computers and look for the charging light – so batteries charge properly
- Report any computer loss or other issues right away – by emailing email@example.com
- Return the cart key to the Humanites 1 ASC